Thursday, April 3, 2008

Justice

The death penalty has been on my mind for the past few weeks. Is it wrong? Do we have the right to play God and punish someone to death for a crime they committed? As a human I say yes. As a grieving friend. Definitely. As a Christian ? Hmmmm. Forgiveness has to come into play somewhere right?
When Christian forgiveness is discussed, it is within the context of God forgiving man. In his book Balancing the Scales of Justice with Forgiveness and Repentance, minister Randall J. Cecrle makes the point that both forgiveness and repentance focus on the satisfaction of justice, each one side of the two-sided scales that addresses the human need to have justice satisfied. He writes that the means for humans to forgive other humans is the same means as God’s forgiveness of mankind, the substitutionary death of Jesus. When God through the Apostle Paul said “Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” (Colossians 3:13), he was giving clear instructions on how to forgive. The author goes on to say “Forgive as God forgave you. Forgive in the same way, using the same means and power that God used to forgive you and me. And God forgave you and me how? He forgave by accepting the blood of Jesus (death at the hands of the executioner) as the substitutionary satisfaction of His justice. To forgive those who have caused us harm, have injured us, caused us loss, we are likewise to: Accept Jesus’ Death as the Satisfaction of Justice!”
Easier said than done. It is said forgiveness and letting go is the only path to healing. But how do you forgive something so evil? How do you love someone who can do such awful things? Pray? I do. I pray for myself. My kids. Sydney and Garretts Dad. Bridgettes Brother. I even pray for Aaron. But the peace and forgiveness hasnt come yet.
Aaron said he prayed that God would forgive him. The Christian in me is happy to hear that. The hurt emotional human side of me hopes God doesn't hear him. I don't want to share Heaven with him.
I admit my thoughts and feelings are filled with anger this week. Anger is not an emotion I have allowed myself to feel since it happened. But it is here now. This week. During his judgement, it is here.
Do I believe in the death penalty? Yes. Do I want Aarron to get it? No. I want him to suffer. I want him to live with it everyday for years to come. I know Aarron. The worst thing you could ever do to him is isolate him. And now he has awful memories to replay in his mind. thoughts. dreams.
what about you? does he deserve death? Not sure? Read this.http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2008/04/03/news/news01.txt

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm with you about wanting him to suffer for years to come. While what he did wasn't unforgivable to Christ, it was to me. And I'm ok with that.

You'll be in my prayers.

Love you!